NFHS Rules Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scrimmage kick stumper

2 posters

Go down

Scrimmage kick stumper Empty Scrimmage kick stumper

Post by SGT Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:30 am

4th and 6 for Team K at the Team R 20 yd. line. K lines up for a field goal. The kick is blocked and returned for a TD. On the play, the umpire had a flag for roughing the snapper, and the line judge has a flag on the offense for illegal formation - only six on the LOS. Options?

You need to dig deeply into the rule book for this one.

Hint: The most important rule in the rule book is Rule 2, because it provides definitions for the terms used in the rest of the rules.

A
N
S
W
E
R

I
S

B
E
L
O
W

This was a tricky one. I referenced the definitions section of the rule book because the definition of "scrimmage kick formation" requires that there be a minimum of 7 players on the LOS. Otherwise, you don't have SKF, which means no protection for the snapper, and no roughing the snapper foul. So, after the play when the officials get together, the umpire will pick up that flag. The illegal formation penalty will be declined so that a Team R can keep the TD. Although the foul was committed by the opponent of the scoring team, enforcement on the try or succeeding kickoff is not available, because the foul occurred before the change of possession.

SGT
SGT
Admin

https://nfhs-rules-talk.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Scrimmage kick stumper Empty Re: Scrimmage kick stumper

Post by tplaster Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 am

Wow...... Freely admit that I never knew anything about this one..... Learn something new everyday about his freaking game.

tplaster

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum